Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Smell

Ever wonder why perfume wears off so quickly? Others notice the fragrance but our brain does not waste time reminding us because it is so familiar. But if you were to step outside or into another environment, your sense of smell checks for danger and food and reports back. As a result, the perfume scent returns. 

When odor molecules travel through our nasal cavity, their navigation herds them towards the olfactory bulb: from a bird's eye view, it resembles small horns at the front of the brain. From there, olfactory information can take different routes within the brain; to the amygdala, which is associated with emotion and motivation, to the hippocampus, which is associated with memory, and to the olfactory cortex. All three regions deliver the smell information and interpretations to the frontal cortex, the brain region required for cognitive processes like decision making. 

The fresh scent of rain generates relief and happiness within me, perhaps this is inherently linked to our species' need for water. The comforting scent of Coppertone sunblock, one of my favorite scents, reminds me that summer is near. And the Mexican in me is hypnotized by the aroma of slightly burnt flour tortillas. 

When I first arrived in Lima, the country welcomed me with the repelling tang of piss, sewage, and exhaust. Now, my brain no longer recognizes the foul smells that invaded my nose in January. I do, however, have to breathe out of my mouth and walk quickly through the protein aisle at the market. And the horrendous sulfur odor, from the Giardia I had, was an uncomfortable and embarrassing time of my life. 

On the other hand, the scent of the fruit in Peru is sweet and penetrating; a mango in my room makes it seem like I have a Bath & Body Works Wallflower plugged in.  On my way to early morning Yoga, I am greeted by freshly baked bread as I pass multiple bakeries. When the fog takes over the city, a brisk ocean breeze allows me to be present to the almighty ocean. 

A cloud of chemicals swirls up my nose when I enter my favorite place in Lima: where I work. Aside from its gorgeous infrastructure, I get a sense of peace (pun intended) when I step foot within the guarded gates of the United Nations complex. Thank you, SeƱor Beato, for nurturing our gardens; the fresh-cut grass evokes a long and steady inhale, aaaahhhhhh. As I make my way to the office kitchen, fresh coffee overshadows all my senses, preparing me for a productive day. I truly love the smell of my routine, which then ends with a lilac scented candle and Suavitel Softener as I tuck myself into bed. 

Our sense of smell is a fascinating science yet in a survey of 7,000 young people around the world, ages 16 to 30,  reported they would rather lose their sense of smell than give up access to technology. This is a frightening reality for many. 





No comments:

Post a Comment